Belize City Council's Internal Audit Department is organizationally located and responsible to the Mayor, the City Administrator and the Audit Committee. The Internal Audit is designed to add value and improve the Council's operations by utilizing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, internal control, and governance processes. Annually, the Internal Audit Department compiles a work plan to guide the efforts of the department so that resources can be focused on the highest identified risk areas.
The main goal of the Audit Department is to create a working environment for the Council that is transparent and accountable through accurate, independent, and objective audits that seek to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and adherence to policies, procedures and standard of ethics and professionalism.
- The Internal Audit Department (IAD) is committed to improving its audit quality.
- IAD plans not only to maintain the standard, but to improve efficiency and effectiveness of internal audit processes, and to enhance the value added by audits and advisory services to better serve BCC.
- IAD will ensure the positioning of BCC's internal audit function is at the forefront of best internal audit practice amongst the municipality.
- Other quality improvement activities planned for 2019/20 include enhancements to the format of reports; improved, updated and refocused internal audit work programs; and enhanced use of IT data extraction tools and data analytics in audits.
- IAD's learning and development policy will be developed to ensure its strategy and work plan is supported by adequate capacity and skills built internally or acquired externally.
- As an ongoing quality assurance process, post audit surveys will be conducted to ensure IAD obtains feedback to enhance its performance on an ongoing basis.
- For the internal audit department, it is important to ensure that internal audit activities maintain the highest possible standards of service delivery to the organization.
Four audit types are used to conduct inspections:
- Compliance audits
- Financial Audits
- Investigative Audits
- Operational Audits