Local Economic Development (LED) Unit
“LED is an approach to build the economic capacity of a local area to improve its economic future and the quality of life for all. It is a process through which public, business and non-governmental sector partners work collectively to create better conditions for economic growth and employment generation. “
Our vision for Belize City is to have all residents live in a modern, clean and secure environment, a city abounding with civic pride, patriotism, unity and economic opportunities
The LED Unit focuses on five important pillars of economic development: viz
- Good Governance & Ethical Practices leading to Trust & Prosperity; Ease of Doing Business – Business Attraction, Business Retention & Expansion,
- Enabling Environment; Skills, workforce development & education
- Innovation; Supporting Entrepreneurs and Small businesses
- Livability; Economic and community transformation, Environmental Conservation
Improved Quality of Life
Urban Heritage Designation and Preservation
- The Work of LED Unit
Facilitate and, where possible, lead the implementation of local economic development through ensuring appropriate institutional capacity is created within the Belize City Council.
Support / Guide:
Providing guidance in terms of the direction that local economic development should take.
Link / Coordinate (through integrated development planning):
Ensuring that the activities within the various local departments of the Belize City Council and the activities of external stakeholders are linked and coordinated.
Providing “intelligence” (appropriate information) in support of local economic development initiatives.
Continuing to promote local economic development as a core strategy of the Belize City and the values inherent in the Belize City Brand.
In collaboration with relevant agencies, Developing and implementing a competent marketing / public relation programme for the City, especially through its Branding Strategy.
Providing support to Belize City Entrepreneurs startup, in the implementation of local economic development.
Provide guidance for sourcing funding for strategic infrastructure projects which will open up opportunities for economic development in Belize City.
Establishing and maintaining a system for monitoring the successful implementation of local economic development.
- The BUSINESS SUPPORT DESK
The business support desk offers information, support, and developmental services to new and existing Micro, Small, and Medium sized enterprises throughout Belize City.
The Business Support Desk falls under the Local Economic Development Unit of the Belize City Council, and works in collaboration with the Small Business Development Center and other stakeholders to help meet the needs of the small business community.
Services offered by the Business Support Desk Include:
- Licenses, Permits, and Fees
- Providing general information on the types of business structures, company’s registry name search, and articles of association.
- Explaining the necessary steps, along with all associated costs and fees
- Providing information on the different types of departmental approvals required (Fire, Police, Department of the Environment, Public Health)
- Providing business planning advice
- Sharing formal business planning tools and templates
3.Grants & Micro Funding
- Providing general information on community lending institutions and their services
- Providing general information on grant programs and other finance opportunities
- Provide General Information on GST, and Social Security Board registration
4.Business Growth/ Marketing Assistance
- Marketing Plans
- Social Media Strategies
- Designing & Creating Marketing Collateral
- Referrals to SBDC and other agencies that focus on innovation, technology, and export services for training, workshops and further advising
5. Facilitating Partnerships with all relevant Stakeholders
- SBDC Educational Institutions
- Chamber of Commerce
- Existing Business Owners
- Governmental Agencies
- Financial Institution
6. Easy Access to Relevant Forms and Information
- The Business Support Desk is working to ensure that all information relevant to starting and running a business in Belize is easily accessible
- We are working to streamline the trade license application process and providing the necessary forms online.
For further information, or to set up an appointment, please contact the Business Support Desk at: 501-227-2308 ext. 282 or email us at email@example.com
Local Economic Development, Small Business, Trade and Investment Councillor: Javier Castellanos
Local Economic Development Manager: Hubert Pipersbergh
Business Development Officer: Carissa Casanova
Business Development Officer: Devin Daly