In order to ensure that everything from the bodily preparation to the burial is a smooth process for the already grieving families of those who have lost loved ones a meeting was held at the Belize City Council. Councillor Deltrude Hylton (Public Health), City Administrator Mrs. Stephanie Lindo – Garbutt, Citco’s Public Health Inspectors, grave diggers, undertakers and a representative from the Ministry of Health all gathered to discuss best practices to uphold certain standards in this area.
Some concerns that were shared included:
- The communication between Undertakers and grave diggers regarding the ratio of casket size to grave size and body measurements appropriate to casket size. As well as casket capacity per gravesite
- Urgent burials called in from the authorities and it’s communication from mortician to City Council’s cemetery
- Lessening the timespan from the issuance of receipt at our Customer Service desk to the information of grave placement received by the family of the deceased.
- Mindfulness of cause of death when making preparations
- Keeping the family of the deceased informed of every step of the process
All in attendance agreed that keeping this in mind would streamline the process.